Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Assignment 1: Explore

Untitled I
  




Untitled II


Untitled III
Part I

Untitled I:
     The composition was all chance. It was dark and raining so I had to make the shutter speed really slow. I just hoped as I was shooting that a clear enough photo would come along.  The emphasis is on my dog, Payton, moving.
     Concept is play. I wanted to capture the movement of Payton and how wound up he can get when he gets outside. I like to think of the blurred/ streaky background as what he sees when he is jumping and running around when he is outside.
     I had my mom as an assistant with this photoshoot. She was throwing a tennis ball around for him to run after. I learned a lot about shutter speed in taking these photos. It was taking these photos that convinced me that I needed a tripod.
     My goal for this image was to capture Payton's crazy hyper world when he plays outside. It was also to get to know shutter speeds better.
     The context can be similar to other artists who focus on movement. It is interesting to compare slow shutter speed movement with fast shutter speed movement to see how they differ in interpretation.

Untitled II:
     The composition frames the foot. The lighting comes from the back so there is great contrast that emphasizes the scar on the top of her foot that subtly shows.
     The image is about expression that can be shown through body parts other than the face. It shows relief, as if she just put her feet up after a day that was strenuous on her wounded foot. The photo is also about learning to play with light and the angles that can give different moods.
     I directed my subject and fixed the lighting as the method for this photo. I told the girl  to put her foot up as I switched the light angles around the foor. I liked playing with vast contrast.
     My goal for this image was to learn techniques with the camera more than a narrative or concept.
     A photographer who exploits wounds and scarring and the idea of permanent, i may be able to compare my photo to. Also photographers who use vast contrast and background lighting.

Untitled III:
     I used the lighting from the window for this composition. I framed the forks into focus with a straight on shot to show a different perspective on the floor.
     The image is about chaos. It is not extreme chaos, but for a person with ocd, or for someone who is obsessed with cleanliness and germs, it would be chaotic to have your eating utensils fallen to the floor. I like the disarray and angles the forks make, as well as the texture of the carpet. the depth of field works as well.
     My method was a lot of experimenting and constructing the scene. I started taking photos with the forks in a cup on the table, then knocked them over and continued to photograph them on the floor.
     My goal was to experiment with the camera settings with an interesting and unusual subject.
     The context of the image doesn't go very deep. You could relate this photo to the work of a photogrpaher who captures everyday objects, or who captures objects where they don't belong.


     Part II

Untitled I:
     Others interpreted this photo as the dog being quite still, with everything spinning around him. They also agreed that he was playing and excited.
     What is working is the movement of the background. Suggestions were that it would have been nice to get more expression from Payton, maybe get him at a run rather than at a light trot.
     As a jumping point I would continue to photograph Payton, maybe in better lighting and with a tripod. It would be neat to follow him around for a couple hours to see what he does when we are not watching. That would probably involve hidden sensor cameras around our yard.

Untitled II:
     Others interpreted this image as someone putting up their feet to relax after a long day of work, with the expression, Ahhhh! Finally. they also commented on the permanent scar on her foot in relation to the indented patterned line her sock made around her ankle. It is interesting that one mark will fade away, but the other is there for life.
     What is working is the expression the foot gives and the lighting. No negative feedback was given, but maybe I could have tried a variety of angles to see if another viewpoint was stronger.
     I like the idea of photographing marks on your body that are not permanent, like the sock indent. It also may be interesting to take pictures of scars or tattoos, then come back years later to see how the scars have healed and how the person has changed physically.

Untitled III:
     Others interpreted the image as forks that had fallen to the floor. Another interpretation I liked was that it resembled a landscape with the forks in the foreground and the depth of field and camera angle.
     The contrast, texture, and composition are working. It was suggested that I completely darken the  background but I like the hints of the fork's surroundings.
     I really like the idea of this image resembling a landscape. That hadn't occured to me before. It would be fun to experiment with other household objects to see if I can construct the same idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment